Aims and Objectives
By the end of this lecture and corresponding lab session you should:
- be aware that geometry on a sphere differs from planar geometry, and know about great circles;
- understand how to measure position on a sphere;
- know how latitude/longitude, right ascension/declination and altitude/azimuth are defined;
- be able to draw a horizon diagram showing the appearance of the celestial sphere from any point on Earth;
- know how the stars move through the sky on a nightly basis, and
- be able to calculate the transit altitude of a star.